Saturday, February 14, 2009

Super Tuesday

Friends, dear readers and true believers...

It's been a while since my last post. I'd like to say I've been on some grand adventures exploring new and exciting territory and in a sense, I have. I've been working my fingers to the bone trying to find work in a less-than-desirable economy. Submitting resumes, modifying cover letters and selling myself all while caring for and bonding with my son.
But the day has arrived... I have found a job! Well, the job kinda found me, but when it comes down to it, I'll be back at work on Tuesday. I've taken a position as a Telephone Representative for a thriving life insurance company. Quite a large one at that. I went from having no prospects to landing a job which could turn into a career through proper training and diligence. Since December 1st, I've imagined how it would be going back to work and how I longed for a steady paycheck and now that the day has come where I'll be doing just that, I find myself quite nervous. Edgy. Not pensive, but not far off. What if I can't punch my weight? Ugh, worse, what if I fail entirely? These are things I have to consider. The Yin has to have a Yang, the bitter, the sweet, The Godfather, The Godfather part III (guys, you know what I'm talking about).
While no one goes to college hoping to land a position at an inbound call center, it's what I've done for the better part of the last 4 years. It's what I do. It's what I'm good at. I went to school for Journalism and Advertising, but could my true calling be telephone-based customer service? Guess we'll see.
Since accepting this position, the issue of child care came up. Placing my son in day care while my wife and I work and try to fund and secure our darling little boy's future. Not a week ago, the mere thought of shipping my little boy sent me reeling to the point of near-nervous collapse. I wound up sobbing uncontrollably in front of my movie collection trying to sort it, but no amount of sorting made sense. Alphabetical? Nah, too predictable and prosaic. Autobiographical? Possibly, but who besides me would see the sense in placing the Lord of the Rings trilogy smack next to Entourage? I finally settled my nerves and decided that this would benefit the greater good. The Family, as it were. There is no "I" in team. While I didn't (and still don't) want to put my son in day care, it would allow my wife and I to both work full-time and hopefully pull down some serious money.
Now you may be asking yourself, "Easy, where in the hell is this going?" Truth is, as I sit here typing reflectively on Valentine's Day with my family tucked safely and warmly in bed, I'm wondering the same thing. And have come to this conclusion... It just feels good to write again. Stream of consciousness-inspired. Hell, Kerouac did it. Look where it got him.

1 comment:

~Shoes~ said...

Good to see you back, Easy...back to STC, back to the land of the living, and back to writing.